Forget the Leaks: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake Is Getting a Bold Overhaul
Fresh leaks point to a dramatically overhauled Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake, with early 2024 gameplay looking nothing like the 2020 reveal — and the buzz is finally positive. Leaker popuniverseX claims the footage shows a rebuild that could win back fans.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake just popped back up with a leak-and-response combo that, for once, actually sounds promising. Yes, we have leaked footage. Yes, Ubisoft acknowledged it. And yes, they say the game is in way better shape now than what you just saw.
So, what leaked and why are fans buzzing?
Footage labeled as early 2024 gameplay resurfaced this week via the Prince of Persia Universe account on X (aka popuniverseX). The clip reportedly came from an early workshop build and looked wildly different from the clunky 2020 reveal that everyone rejected. The vibe from leakers: the story is the same, but the gameplay has been rebuilt across the board.
Then Ubisoft did something you do not see every day: the official account replied to the chatter, confirmed the footage is legit but old, and said the current version has evolved a lot since that early test.
"Glad to hear you liked it, even if it wasn’t meant to go out. This footage was from a workshop we hosted to get feedback from community members back in early 2024. The game has changed so much since then, and we can’t wait to show it next year."
— @princeofpersia, Nov 27, 2025
Where the remake stands now
Quick refresher: Ubisoft announced the remake in 2020. It looked rough, fans revolted, and Ubisoft Montreal took over and restarted the project from scratch. That early 2024 workshop was part of a feedback loop, and the publisher says the response at the time was positive. The leaked clip that just resurfaced appears to be from that session, not the current build.
When is it coming?
Multiple leakers are pointing to January 2026. Ubisoft has not put a date on it, but their post says they plan to show the game next year, which lines up with a 2026 window. Translation: a January launch is the rumor; a 2026 showcase is the only thing the studio has essentially hinted at publicly.
What changed since the 2020 version?
The short answer: basically everything that matters for how it plays, with the story intact. The 2024 workshop build (the one in the leak) reportedly featured:
- Parkour that has been reworked for modern controls and flow
- Combat rebuilt by blending the original’s acrobatics with a new, more advanced system
- Time powers expanded to give you more options mid-fight
- Farah upgraded into a real combat-capable partner who can hold her own
- Enemy behavior updated and boss fights revamped
- Character designs refreshed across the board
Ubisoft’s line is that the current build is beyond even that list, which makes sense if that footage was from early 2024. In other words: what leaked was a checkpoint, not the finish line.
The takeaway
This is the first time in a while the Sands of Time remake has sounded like the remake people actually wanted. The publisher acknowledging an old leak and saying the game is stronger now is unusual—and encouraging. Expect to see it in 2026. If the January chatter sticks, we are not far off. Until Ubisoft shows fresh footage, treat the specifics as work-in-progress, but the direction? Finally feels right.